Sunday, May 17, 2009

Writing Prompt- Sitting in a cafe and I am given a note

Sitting in a café. I am given a note: “It’s in your best interest to meet me at 7 p.m. tonight alone, at Pine and 4th.”

“I need to give this to you,” stated this short, bald man as he walked by my table in the café.

He walked out of sight as I just sat there staring at him. I didn’t know what to think. While I was sitting there thinking a few ideas came to me: I had a secret admirer, one of my enemies decided that now was the time for revenge, or maybe my latest boyfriend had a surprise planned for me. I thought of mulling the ideas over, but the note was just too tempting I had to open it.

As I unfolded the note, I keenly observed that the edges of the paper were torn and there were fingerprint smudges. I became unsure if any of my ideas were right, except for the one about my enemies. Written in pen it read, “It’s in your best interest to meet me at 7 p.m. tonight alone at Pine and 4th.” I studied the penmanship, trying to remember what everybody’s looked like. I had no idea who it belonged to.

I wasn’t sure what I should do. Should I make some calls and see if I could figure out who it was or should I just go on blind faith. I decided that I would go the rest of the morning finishing my latte and business downtown and decide my course of action early afternoon.

I spent the morning going to the library and the accountant, before I ate lunch at Lucky Charley’s. I was eating my avocado, bean sprout and bacon sandwich when I thought I would flip a coin, which would chose the plans for the evening.

Heads I would go and tails I would stay home reading the latest book I checked out of the library. It was tails. I was glad. I wanted to stay home and read The Mystery of the Paper.

Stay tuned for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment