Wednesday, April 29, 2009

National Poetry Month- Thomas Wyatt and Adrienne Rich

National Poetry Month is almost over. There is only ONE more day! Here are some poems and if there are any poems that you would like, there could be a poem party tomorrow.

Thomas Wyatt
What Should I Say

What should I say,
Since faith is dead,
And truth away
From you is fled?
Should I be led
With doubleness?
Nay, nay, mistress!

I promised you,
And you promised me,
To be as true
As I would be.
But since I see
Your double heart,
Farewell my part!

Though for to take
It is not my mind,
But to forsake
I am not blind
And as I find,
So will I trust:
Farewell, unjust!

Can ye say nay?
But you said
That I alway
Should be obeyed?
And thus betrayed
Or that I wist--
Farewell, unkissed.

Adrienne Rich
Aunt Jennifer's Tigers

Aunt Jennifer's tigers prance across a screen,
Bright topaz denizens of a world of green.
They do not fear the men beneath the tree;
They pace in sleek chivalric certainty.
Aunt Jennifer's fingers fluttering through her wool
Find even the ivory needle hard to pull.
The massive weight of Uncle's wedding band
Sits heavily upon Aunt Jennifer's hand.
When Aunt is dead, her terrified hands will lie
Still ringed with ordeals she was mastered by.
The tigers in the panel that she made
Will go on prancing, proud and unafraid.

Anonymous Lyric
Now Go’th Sun Under Wood
Nou goth sonne under wode-
Me reweth, Marie, thi faire rode
Nou goth sonne under tre-
Me reweth, Marie, thi sone and the.

1 comment: