Friday, January 23, 2009

How to write a short story- Part Five

Lord, I am now going to open my Bible. Please lead me to knowledge I need to know, before I read in Psalms and Romans. 1 Chronicles 4:9&10 is what I have decided to look at. “And Jabez was more honourable than his brethren: and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, Because I bare him with sorrow. And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me and thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested.”

That is interestin’. Why would they put that part in the middle of a bunch of chapters that list name after name. Perhaps I should change the words into a prayer that would benefit me and as time passes I can always change the words to the situation.

I wonder how many people read about Jabez and if he has influence their lives. If I had not asked God what to read I doubt I would have read it. I have just skipped over names in the past. I must not do that anymore. There will always be real gold in the areas where it looks like there is no gold.

I think my new prayer will be: Lord, that thou would bless me indeed, and enlarge my knowledge of you, and that thine hand might be with me and thou would keep me from evil, that I may not grieve others. In Your name I pray, Amen.

If the Bible mentions this man in just two verses and God cares so much for him then he must care for me like that too. That really helps me to believe that God cares for me. I wonder what I can find when I read Psalms.

I guess I was right all along to fear God, ‘cause it says in Psalm 111, verse ten that the fear of the lord is beginnin’ of wisdom. I guess if we understand him and do as he says his praise is always ours.

I’m in trouble then. I’ve not been understandin’ him and I’ve not been followin’ his commandments. I had better read the Ten Commandments again and see what it is I’ve been doin’ wrong.

I know I’ve not been keepin’ that Sabbath holy. I’ve not been as I’m confused as to which day is the Sabbath day. Some peoples have it on Saturday and others on Sunday. I guess I will just have to choose a day to go to church, so I can begin to follow all God’s commandments.

The other commandment I used to have a problem with and I don’t now is lyin’. I’m so glad I don’ do that no more.

I’d best follow all the commandments and read the Bible.

1 comment:

  1. Our sermon was on this very passage last week. If yoy Google Upton Vale Baptist Church you should be able to hear a podcast! God bless, Mel Menzies, author of A Painful Post Mortem, a story of love and loss. http://www.melmenzies.co.uk/books

    ReplyDelete